As a Member of the Military, When Can You Consult With Defense Counsel?

Recent Posts
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and the UCMJ Articles

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and the UCMJ Articles

Recent Posts The Prevalence of PTSD The Prevalence of PTSD in the Military In 2024 Symptoms of PTSD in Military Personnel Impact on Daily Life Barriers to Care Treatment Options The Insanity Defense and PTSD Insanity and the UCMJ Articles Frequently Asked Questions If...

Interviewer: At what point does counsel come in to represent you if you are in the military?

Chris: It changes but you can be allowed counsel once you’ve been read your rights.

You can enter into attorney-client privilege, but, generally, you won’t see your detailed defense counsel until referral of charges. A lot of things could’ve happened from the time the investigation began to the time that referral of charges occurred.

Military Personnel Are Allowed Counsel Once Charges Are Preferred

Interviewer: Will military personnel usually have counsel by the Article 32 hearing?

Chris: Once charges are preferred, which is before the article 32 hearing, you have counsel.

Interviewer: You have this hearing and what happens from there? What are the stages from there?

Chris: After the article 32 hearing for general court-martial, the investigating officer forwards his or her recommendation to the convening authority. The convening authority makes a decision whether or not the case goes forward to a general court-martial.

He or she may move it to a special court-martial, but, if he or she decides to move forward and believes that there is enough evidence to move forward in the case, then you will go to a court-martial. That will be the actual court hearing itself.

Are Military Defendants Placed in Jail Until Their Court Martial?

Interviewer: Are the defendants arrested and placed in a military holding area on base?

Chris: Military personnel will be ordered to a confinement at post after the court-martial. Generally, time is served at a local confinement facility at the base. Sometimes, depending on the size of the base, military personnel may go to a local jail.

They have fee agreements to let prisoners go to other bases. If you have a lengthy confinement such as greater than six months, you will be generally transferred to a long-term confinement facility, such as the one in Miramar or Charleston or Fort Leavenworth.



Call us today at 1-877-619-9657


Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

We Proudly Serve All Branches of The Military in All Locations Worldwide